Saturday 23 March 2013

Farmer Giles


I've been a bit quiet of late, I was struck down with the flu a few weeks back and then had a whole load of work to catch up on as a result, so have not had much leisure time. However I had some time to spare yesterday evening and painted up this figure from Artizan Designs.

I wanted all the colours to mesh nicely with each other and I'm pleased with my colour choices, the tweed on the flat cap could have been better, but you can't win em all.

Now I am a big fan of Artizans figures, my display cabinet, and cupboards are bulging with untold numbers of their figures. However I was a bit disappointed with the casting on this figure. The face seemed a little miscast and the detail was lighter than is usual with Artizans stuff. The bigger moan though is the shotgun which the figure is carrying. The barrel is very thin and bends really easily (as is evident in the picture). This was a bit of a departure from the norm with Artizans figures as I usually have nothing but praise for them.

It is still a nice figure its just let down by just two relatively minor points which were a touch irritating.

In other news my Ginger Tom Loki was unusually compliant last night and not only let me take a picture of him, but endured having my scarf draped around him in a dapper fashion!




7 comments:

  1. Excellent work! The overcoat especially gets my painting juices flowing! I need to work harder to get the effect you obtained here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great cat and super figure too...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice job mate, I might get some gentry from Gripping beast instead upon hearing your review, I had though of picking him up to re-enact some Skyfall action.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great work there Mr Smillie with the farm and I am so impressed with the Artizan range but have never got around to getting any.I cant wait to see him at Partizan.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can see what you mean about the barrels, but I love your colour palette, gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks guys, I was really pleased with my paint job, despite the slightly disappointing casting on the shotgun. Still can't have it all eh.

    ReplyDelete